Today, I made and drank a smoothie.
This is something I have always been largely put off from doing, associating ‘smoothie’ with ‘health fanatic’ and visualising some vile looking green gloop in a glass (something I affirmed by watching Nev Wilshire’s smoothie dieting antics on BBC’s The Call Centre last night).
But no! Today, I was determined to concoct a divine smoothie recipe, one that would not make the hairs on your neck stand on end, but one that might fill you with comforting, sweet, yummy goodness, whilst also still giving a tick in the health box.
Drum roll please, for the Blackberry Pie Smoothie!
I had great fun in the kitchen devising this, adding squeeze of this and a dollop of that like a scene from George’s Marvellous Medicine, in my quest to find the perfect amount of each ingredient for guaranteed smoothie bliss!
This smoothie is ridiculously easy to make, as I suspect most smoothies are. Just grab the ingredients, throw them in the blender and whizz to your heart’s content. As you’re whizzing away, you can ponder on the greatness of blackberries by knowing this:
1. The dark colour means blackberries have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits.
2. For those of you feeling stressed out, the Vitamin K in blackberries helps your muscles to relax!
3. The tannin in blackberries can help promote healthy tightening of the tissue, keeping your skin looking young and fresh.
4. Wake up! Prolonged consumption can keep your brain alert.
5. Sore throat? The leaves of blackberries may help (blackberry tea, anyone?)
6. There are only 43kcal in 100g of blackberries
7. Art attack: blackberry juice was once used to dye fabric navy blue and indigo.
8. The latin name for the common Blackberry is Rubus fruticosus.
9. Some blackberries have more dietary fibre, weight for weight, than wholemeal bread!
10. Other names for blackberries are: brambleberries, brumblekites and lawers…
SUPERFOOD BLACKBERRIES, WE SALUTE YOU! Make this blackberry pie smoothie today and trust me, your tastebuds (and health conscience) will thank you!
- 150g blackberries
- ½ banana
- 30g oats
- 100ml milk
- 100ml plain yoghurt
- 1½ tbsp honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and whizz until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a glass and serve.