Wondering what to do for Valentine’s day this year? This knock-out white chocolate, rose and pistachio mousse won’t let you down. Creamy, white Madagascan vanilla chocolate meets with the subtle, evocative aroma of rose and the unique, nutty taste of pistachios. This Middle Eastern inspired dessert promises a flourishing finish to a romantic night in, or a decadent treat to enjoy with friends.
I love flavour combinations. I keep a list, and add to it whenever inspiration hits. I love pairings with an elegant twist. Think vanilla chai with candied almonds, honey and elderflower or jasmine, white chocolate, cherry and amaretto…just stunning. Although not new or unique, when consulting my little list for Valentine-appropriate flavourings, pistachio and rose stood out. Alluring and exotic, its pairing with white chocolate elevates the taste sensation to a trio of flavours that is absolutely heavenly. And if you are worried this mousse will taste like a box full of Turkish delight, rest assured! I promise there is only the most delicate, subtle hint of rose water.
When using rose petals for decoration, make sure you buy the rose from an organic market, or even better, your own garden. You can eat rose petals, but you don’t want nasty pesticides from shop-bought roses contaminating your lovely dessert! Alternatively, you can buy edible dried rose petals from some supermarkets.
Food is such a simple, honest way to to give from the heart. Whether enjoyed with a partner, family or friends, homemade treats are always received with gratitude and genuine pleasure. I know it’s an old cliché, but you really can taste the love and care that is poured into homemade cooking, in a way that shop-bought and machine made can never compete with.
And if you can’t get enough of pistachio and rose, Starbucks have just launched a new Pistachio & Rose Mocha!
- 250g white chocolate with vanilla (I used Green & Blacks White Chocolate with Madagascan Vanilla)
- 250ml double cream
- 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp rose water
- handful of chopped pistachios
- rose petals
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of warm water, stirring gently. When melted and smooth, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the cream, egg white and rose water into soft peaks.
- Put a spoonful of the cream mix into the cooled chocolate and stir to combine.Then fold the chocolate mixture back into the cream.
- Spoon between 2 jars or glasses. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios and rose petals. Leave to chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before devouring.